Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Chefs/Professional Cooks Vs The At Home Cook


I'm flipping between "Chopped" and "The Taste" which are cooking competitions. I'm a long time fan of "Chopped" and one thing I'm sure those of you who also watch cooking competitions/programs are aware that all Chefs/Professional Cooks have two things in common. We are over confident and we are overly insecure. We "know" we can cook and our dishes are the best that anyone will ever eat yet at the same time we fear that we will make something no one will want to eat (complicated yes I know). Those of us who are the At Home Cooks are also confident in our ability to cook for our family and friends but are simply terrified that our food or style of cooking are not good enough to reach the professional chef status. Notice I included myself in both categories and I will explain why. I started out cooking at home from a very young age. I also got into the restaurant business at a young age. I worked with many that went to culinary school and even though I dare not show it, I allowed the fact they were professionally taught intimidate me until I saw that my skill was much more than a lot of them. Not bragging, just a fact (hehe). Even though some of my co-workers and friends would reassure me that I was just as good or at times even better, I would not allow myself to accept that fact. I instead soaked up as much information I could. I learned what to do and what not to do. I was blessed with a God given talent and I am thankful that I was able to put it to good use.
Most of us who are the At Home Cook learn how to cook and bake. Mostly because you always gotta have dessert lol. It was strange to me to learn that all chefs who cook can not bake and all chefs who bake can not cook. To me, they go hand in hand but for many it doesn't. Personally, I believe it is the home cooks that have the home advantage of preparing a meal in these competitions as long as they stay true to themselves. The professionals however always have a need to prove why they are the best. There are always some new technique or scientific ingredient to make the dish better and they end up beating themselves because of it. And don't EVEN get me started on all the fancy names and expensive what nots they add.
One of my mentors and best friend once told me that he could see me having my own cooking show or in one of those cooking competions and I thought he was just bias because we are friends but you know, that may have to be something I might have to look into and decide if it is a bucket list item. I will not dare say that I would win but I am pretty sure if I set my mind to it, I will make it at least to the finals. No I'm not the best chef/cook out there and I hardly know all there is when it comes to cooking but I believe I do have the home court advantage because I have experience in both areas!

1 comment: